My critters are messy. Dripping water, throwing food…you name it! Hence the inspiration for the placemat. This super easy placemat is sealed with Mod Podge (non toxic!), so you just wipe with a damp cloth to clean! This would work great for babies, kids or pets. Just keep in mind that Mod Podge doesn’t react well with heat. Remember to wait until the Mod Podge is completely dry on each step before moving on to the next (this shouldn’t take too long).
- 12″ x 18″ fabric for the top
- 16″ x 22″ fabric for the bottom
- Mod Podge
- Place the top fabric (right side up) in the middle of the bottom fabric (right side down). There should be 2″ of the bottom fabric showing around all sides.
- Cut a 2″ square out of each corner of the bottom fabric.
- Fold each visible rectangle of bottom fabric in half lengthwise. Iron the fold.
- Fold these new rectangles on top of the top fabric. Iron the fold.
- Temporarily unfold these folds. Apply a layer of Mod Podge to the area just over the top fabric. Refold the crease you made in step 3 and smooth the fabric out.
- Remove the top fabric. Apply a layer of Mod Podge to area of the bottom fabric where the top fabric just was. Smooth the top fabric onto this area.
- Apply Mod Podge to the corners of the bottom fabric rectangles. Fold the corners down to make triangles. This will make sure all raw edges are hidden in the final project.
- Apply Mod Podge to the remainder of the bottom fabric still visible and refold the crease you made in step 4. Smooth out the fabric.
- Apply at least two layers of Mod Podge to the entire project front and back. This will ensure the fabric is completely protected from whatever your kids/critters want to spill on it!
- Your placemat is now complete! I told you that was easy!