This fun project allows you to “paint” a meaningful word on your wall without …um… paint! The materials are also recycled!
- Cardboard (I used cereal boxes, but you can use a thicker cardboard if you prefer)
- Glue (I used tacky glue, but any sort of paper glue should work)
- Mod Podge (or your sealer of choice)
- Hangers and nails (I made hangers out of pieces of index cards with holes punched in them)
- The first thing you need to do is choose a word! You can pick an inspirational word, name, monogram, letter, or even a whole phrase if you’re feeling ambitious! Now you need to decide what you want your word to look like. Try typing your selection into a word processor and testing different fonts to see if one strikes your fancy. Be sure to choose a font with wide enough letters to be able to glue color to them.
- Once you have chosen your font, it is time to draw your lettering on the cardboard. If you chose a cursive font like I did, don’t worry about fitting the entire word on one piece of cardboard. You can glue the pieces together before moving on to the next step. Feel free to print your letters and glue them to the cardboard if you do not want to draw them. Now you need to cut the letters out. A box cutter or utility knife can be helpful (but not necessary) at this point.
- Time to gather your color! Flip through old magazines and cut out any clips of color you may like. Glue the clippings onto the cardboard letters in a pattern you find appealing. It is ok if some of the clippings overlap the cardboard. You can trim these or fold them around the back.
- When you have thoroughly covered the cardboard, allow the glue to dry. Coat the entire front of the word with a layer of Mod Podge. Allow to dry before moving on to the next step.
- Now its time to affix the hangers. I cut out strips index cards about 2″ x 1″ and punched a hole in the top half of it. I then glued the strips to the back of my letters with the hole at the top. When the project is complete, you can hammer nails through these holes to hang it! Coat the entire back (including the hangers) with Mod Podge and allow to dry.
- Repeat layers of Mod Podge on each side until satisfied. I have 3 layers on each side.
- Hang your word and enjoy!